Thursday, January 08, 2009

Free 0870 and 0845 calls on BT

BT plan to make calls to 0870 and 0845 numbers free to most of their customers.

Now, I believe the operators and owners of these numbers receive fees from the caller (or their phone company) when calls to these numbers are made. BT say they'll absorb these costs.

So, what's to stop me signing up for hundreds of these numbers and then getting millions of people to call me?  More likely, what's to stop a bad guy setting up hundreds of these numbers and then infecting those milions of computers in the country that still have modems and are connected to the phone line? 

I assume BT have this covered. But I'd love to know how.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a very shrewd PR move on BTs part. With the impending changes to ofcom regulations on 0870 I doubt they'll lose as much as they claim when then end to 0870 revenue sharing is factored in. most businesses will be moving away from 0870 anyway to numbers that aren't affected by the new regulations. What's more, millions of homeowners who don't know about the ofcom changes are potentially easy targets now to switch across to BT