Saturday, October 29, 2005

RadioEconomics

I've been somewhat sceptical of those promoting the current fad of "PodCasting".

However, I've recently discovered Radio Economics. As the name may suggest, this is a PodCasting site with an emphasis on discussions of economics. The format varies but typically consists of a discussion between a couple of renowned economists or an interview of one.

I've listened to one on the relationship of Biology to Economics which was illuminating but I was particularly excited by the analysis of WalMart.

The trick - which it took me a while to master - is to realise that these are not intended to be professional radio broadcasts. People talk over each other.... interviewers sometimes forget they're supposed to be interviewing and start debating.... some of them are very stilted. But when you set your expectations correctly, it's a fantastic medium.

My main problem is that I'm falling behind with my reading of The Economist now. I read this when travelling (usually to the office or to a customer or airport). However, now I'm listening to PodCasts... and these take far more concentration than just putting music on. I guess we need to add some extra hours to the day.

Interestingly, IBM are at the forefront of the PodCast wave. To my shame, I have yet to listen to any of our official Investor Relations productions but they're in the queue and I'll get there eventually...

No comments: