I'm not really sure where to start on this one so I'll do it in the form of a bulletted list. I like bulletted lists
- "Server load" needs to be defined. Session size? Number of requests to service an end-to-end flow? Total amount of data transferred? CPU cycles/MIPS per user session? Database queries per session? etc, etc, etc
- AJAX's use of client-side state would suggest that there is the potential for smaller session size and total data transferred but a higher number of requests of the server
- Experimentation and experience will tell
- Pet Store in AJAX? Bill, you are a bad man.
- Most of the debate is academic. AJAX is so clearly the way to go that the only question that matters is: how do we accurately size and scale deployments?