Sunday, April 09, 2006

Things that cannot be ignored

Ian Hughes over at eight bar makes some good observations about online gaming. (He also has a followup post here)

I linked to a fascinating podcast about online gaming the other week in a posting that was really intended to welcome RedMonk to the world of PodCasting (I'm never sure.... should I spell Coté's name with an acute accent on the 'e' or with a trailing apostrophe? Love the clips, guys but James..... you've got to let Coté get a word in edgeways.) Anyway, I still recommend readers listen to the RadioEconomics clip.... the interviewee makes some insightful points.

This emerging, and interesting, area of computing unsettles me... I just hate the thought that all those friends of mine who spend hours gaming are actually doing something valuable.


4 comments:

Michael said...

The accent goes over the e. "e acute" as it were ;) I put the accent after the e when (a.) I can't enter HTML entities, or, (b.) I'm last ;)

I'm glad you're liking the podcast!

Richard Brown said...

Ahhh.... ok. That would make sense. Perhaps we should rename the "trailing apostrophe" to "acoté" accent....

Anonymous said...

Taking Ian's lead, I'd also started having a look around in Second Life and I think he's right (as usual) about the whole thing.

I haven't got to playing around in script just yet, though I'm sure that will happen, at the moment I'm just content to look around and see what's there.

Richard Brown said...

I can't help feeling that I'm missing out on a big new thing... but I don't trust myself not to get sucked in to the whole thing and end up spending hours immersed in it :-)