Monday, April 24, 2006

Spooky maths problems

Cool post on the mainframe blog taking a potshot at non-mainframe hardware.

As someone who doesn't really have much exposure to mainframes, I found this post fascinating for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, I didn't know about that feature - and it's always nice to learn new things.

Secondly, and more importantly, this was a perfect example of taking a geeky train-spotter technical observation and making it relevant to the business. Here's something that no other platform has, and which I'm sure doesn't appear in anybody's ROI or TCO or performance calculations, but which could be utterly crucial in certain applications.

I'm sure I'm not alone in having assumed that all hardware would be as equally vulnerable to cosmic ray- or heat-induced mistakes. I didn't realise until now that there was a platform that explicitly protected you from them. Nice.

No comments: