Thursday, December 28, 2006

ADSL Update

Attentive readers will know I've been suffering ongoing woes with my ADSL connection: slow downloads, intermittent disconnections, highly variable speeds.

On the day I left London to travel up north to visit my family, my connection was totally broken. It appeared that BT had just disconnected me. They weren't being malicious; it was part of the "fix", apparently.

According to my ISP, they had finally accepted there was a fault and were in the progress of performing a "lift and shift" on me. This isn't quite as unpleasant a procedure as it sounds and is, I understand, the process of disconnecting my line from one connection into their systems and moving it somewhere else.

If my ISP is to be believed, the reason for my multiple-day lack of connection was that they had "lifted" me before a suitable place to "shift" me to was available.

Anyhow, I was away at the time so didn't really care.

Upon my return last night, imagine my delight when my router was in Sync and thinkbroadband was reporting a download rate of over 5Mbps. Joy of joys!

I'm going to give it another day and, if it's still working, will call my ISP, thank them and tell them they can close the ticket.

4 comments:

Andrew F said...

Super, good news. How did you persuade them to take action?

gert said...

Happy New Year and i do agree. Your post is on target absolutely another excellent reason for people to stop fearing the big stacks... and to stop bullying the small stacks. For this tims I just passing thru and I think you have a great blog here! It was quite useful reading, found some good/nice stuff in here. Thanks! I have a Website/Blog It pretty much covers betting and poker solutionrelated stuff and more than one opportunity.
Come and check it out when you have the time and keep up the great work on your site :>>

Andy Piper said...

Ah, comment spam. Super.

Richard Brown said...

Hi Andrew,

Nothing special..... I just waged a quiet war of attrition. Once I came to know the name of the support rep by the sound of their voice I think they realised I wasn't going to go away...