Sunday, July 17, 2005

The best book I've read in a long time...

.... and, no. It's not Harry Potter.

My plans for today have been somewhat sidetracked by my inability to put down Freakonomics, by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner.

The Wall Street Journal introduces Levitt as: "If Indiana Jones were an economist, he'd be Steven Levitt." I agree. This book does for Economics what A Brief History of Time did for Theoretical Physics.

From demonstrating that Roe vs Wade was responsible for the precipitous decline in violent Crime in America in the 90s to claming that naming a child "OrangeJello" doesn't harm a child's future prospects - they would have been grim anyway - the book has assaulted me with more fascinating insights into the world that I would have thought possible. I found it absolutely fascinating.

The book skates close to the edge in places (encouraging the reader to value the life of a foetus... suggesting you send your child to play in the garden of the family who own the gun...) but that only made me enjoy it more :-)

So... I've now completely messed up my plans for today...

No comments: