Tuesday, July 05, 2005

What is IBM's greatest achievement of the last five years?

A friend's girlfriend is applying to a large tech company at the moment and was asked this question on her application form.

What would I have written if we asked this question and I was applying this year?

The obvious, boring, answers would be the stuff that everyone knows about (Wimbledon, the Cell processor, helping Linux go mainstream, blah, blah, blah, yawn, zzzzzzzz).

But... how about:

  • Removing over $5bn in costs from our supply chain every year with the "Integrated Supply Chain project" (ISC). That's $5bn every single year... wow.
  • Coming from nowhere to pretty much #1 in every software segment in which we seriously compete?
  • Writing the first piece of software ever to have its own display at London's Science Museum?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Rich, Lee here. Sorry, an off-topic comment here, but didn't know where else to put it.

I spotted Gary browsing your blog, so I thought I'd check it out!

I too have recently started a blog, but I'm afraid mine is nowhere near as sensible as yours. But if you're in the mood for reading rubbish, feel free to take a look and leave any comments you want :)