Tuesday, February 27, 2007

My theory is proved

I don't claim originality when I assert that restaurants in prominent locations are uniformly awful. However, it's not often I get to experience such stunning confirmation of the corollary.

My colleague studied her guidebook between breaks in our training class and liked the sound of a restaurant in Christiania. I booked a table and we entered the address into the SatNav.

The soothing sounds of the TomTom took us to a very dark road with a dead-end. There were no obvious signs of life and certainly no signs of a restaurant. After some driving round for parking, we gave up so I called them and they tried to direct us in.

We eventually found Spiseloppen by walking along a dirt track behind a derelict building and walking up a grafitti-covered flight of stairs.

The chances of a lost tourist stumbling upon this place were zero. Accordingly, the food, service and drink were outstanding. It was not cheap - but was worth every kroner.

I had a smoked swordfish, crayfish, salmon-in-a-crepe, asparagus and caviar for starter and medium-rare reindeer for main and enjoyed every bite.

The young couple preparing a monstrous spliff on the stairs leading to the toilets completed the contrast between the restaurant and its surroundings.

If that were not excitement enough, I made two other discoveries today:

Firstly, WebSphere Process Server's support for direct connections to WebSphere MQ (or "MQSeries", as James insists on calling it) is actually rather good (see... I did learn something this week!)

Secondly, my hotel has the cleverest lift, ever. It has doors on three sides and two buttons for each floor. Depending on which button you press, a different door opens upon arrival at your level. However, and here's the clever bit, the lift will climb to a different altitude depending on which door is to open. For example, the left hand door's level is about half a metre lower than the middle door's level. 

A clever solution to the problem of providing step- and ramp-free access to every room in the hotel when it was plainly formed from knocking two separate buildings together.

(I have yet to discover what one must do to make the third door open on any given floor....)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whatever you do, DO NOT open the third door! It opens onto a parallel universe.