Sunday, October 01, 2006

Regulation

It seems that the anti-Roaccutane lobby are continuing their march towards having it banned. It appears it may cause "depression" in mice. I'm not sure how one tells that a mouse is depressed. But, apparently, one can.

I must confess an interest here. I was prescribed Roaccutane in my early twenties and its effects were astonishing. I have friends who have also benefitted from it - some to an astonishing degree.

Were it to be made even harder to obtain than it is today (only dermatologists can prescribe it in the UK) then I would be most upset. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I 'used' it for some time and it had little effect on me. But it's nice to have the choice. I want to be able to take my own risks. It appears that some feel that's too much to ask.

Incidentally, there was a recent Econtalk podcast which touched on some of these subjects:

http://www.econtalk.org/archives/2006/09/the_economics_o_6.html

Richard Brown said...

I want to be able to take my own risks. It appears that some feel that's too much to ask.

You can't handle the risk!

As for Econtalk.... I can't get enough of the GMU guys. Russ Roberts (via PodCast) and Don (in print) are fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Yep, totally concur. Their clarity and forthrightness is very refreshing. The one podcast I truly look forward to.