Sunday, October 01, 2006

Sloe Gin

It appears that the humble G&T is no longer enough. I'm seeing an increasing number of bars in London suggesting one tries Sloe Gin and Tonic.

It doesn't taste too bad and I figured Sloe Gin might make a useful addition to the spirits cupboard.

It was almost not to be. Do Waitrose in Canary Wharf sell it? No. Tesco Metro? No. Oddbins in Cabot Place? No. Where else could I try?

Luckily, the "tenth best place in London", Gerry's, in Soho, came to the rescue.  I felt ever-so-slightly embarrassed asking for this drink. I needn't have. My friend Ben, who I went there with, waited until I had paid for mine before asking if they stocked Mead. They did.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

A Sloe Henry's Special, anyone?

Does Gerry's still not take credit cards?

Richard Brown said...

A Sloe Henry's Special

Good grief.... I feel semi-nauseous already!

Does Gerry's still not take credit cards?

I've read that they don't but didn't try.... they accepted my cash without problem.

Anonymous said...

That alone would stop me walking through their doors, almost on principle. M&S tried this for a long time before they got wise.

I'm guessing it probably doesn't have much effect on their business, though.

Richard Brown said...

I have more sympathy for small retailers that refuse to take cards (and I do wonder if fraud and/or chargebacks are a more significant problem for off-licenses) but I agree it is inexcusable for larger retailers.

Anonymous said...

Taking cards can have advantages for a store, especially if it involves quite large amounts: they don't have to hold as much cash on site and then bank it, and there is less risk of forged notes.

My dad once deposited money at the bank, who confiscated some of the notes as forgeries. After investigating they conceded that they were actually genuine but with printing errors!

Richard Brown said...

Good point, Ben.... for large stores, the charges imposed by banks for handling cash can often make cards attractive